Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Stressed!

I don't know about you, but lately I've been living a high stress lifestyle. That doesn't even include the fact it's the holidays, either! My job works in 'feast or famine' modes, and it just so happens I'll be very busy December through February, at least that's what I'm told. All that stress turns into protein and carb cravings, and even when I satisfy them with the 'right' things, I can still wake up in the middle of the night hungry! Grrr!

Going to the gym three times a week for the past month has definitely helped. You can tell the difference between the novice and the seasoned trainers, but each seem to have their own style on what will work best. I'll be honest to say, I HATE THE GYM -- ANY GYM! I was never into the fitness club experience, no matter how thin I'll get. It helps to have the personal trainer as a distraction, though, the one-on-one time helps make all the other people in the room fade away.

It's unfortunate I continue to have negative experiences with the staff at the Reston office. I realize this program is new to everyone, so there's a learning curve here, but some things I think are just common courtesy. Like I don't think it polite to refer to me (or any Balance participant) as 'the diabetics' ... I really didn't care for that label, especially in front of other members walking in and out of the gym. That's personal, and I don't want my blood pressure monitored while I'm in the middle of the cardio equipment, either. Then there was this evening ... my Wednesday personal trainer is no longer working at this location, but no one notified me, no one replaced him with another trainer, and no one assisted me with my workout. I'm now coming down with a cold (I can't remember the last time I've been sick, it's been so long), didn't really feel like going this evening, and then to have that experience of being 'abandoned' -- in a full gym no less -- didn't make my day. Frankly, I don't really care to reschedule for next Wednesday, but I'm not giving up my commitment to the program.

It's really not a wonder my glucose levels are all over the place with everything I'm dealing with. I still don't have a support system established in my personal life, so dealing with things like this is really difficult. I'm sharing this with you all in case someone else may be so unfortunate to have a lot on their life plate as well and think they're alone in their experiences. Just to talk sometimes would be nice, so THANK YOU, BALANCE BLOG!

Over and out.

2 comments:

Balance Walking said...

Hey just came across and joined your Blog. I look forward to watching your evolving Fitness Program.

After near to 40years in the health, fitness, sports and facility management business personally I quickly saw and felt your concerns. I have some ideas and thoughts for you which I hope may become an asset to you as you continue you’re Fitness Programs.

I have the privilege of launching what is, and will become the Next Wave in N. America. No hype, simply I was touched by your Blog in my email alerts, and thought I would reach out.

You are not alone in what used to be almost a stigma attached to being a diabetic. Like that must be so hard, and so sad, and why me, etc... I am sure you live the reality and would prefer to be someone with a challenge and leave it at that. I am sure you can add much more…

Well we are on the cusp of a nation of on set diabetics in the making as you know. Sit on your rear in long enough, eat poorly, and do not exercise daily and there will be a price to pay. Ya used to have to go of to college to gain 10-15 extra pounds. Now you start High School weighing in 10-15 pounds overweight. You can only imagine what the picture looks like for our future population in the US

Anyhow, know that my efforts are full speed ahead with this Next Walking Wave tm and momentum with what has already happened in a few European countries. They call it Nordic Walking, with over 7 million now. In the US we call it many things (Google it and see the turf wars) and are really in the very, very early stages. I will give an un-documented guess at maybe 100,000 Nordic Walkers in the US.

We at Foot Solutions are using the Rocker Bottom Shoes - Chung Shi, and MBT which we carry. And just yesterday are adding another shoe to the mix by joining the Test Launch with Reebok and their new shoe - the “Easy Tone”. Their tag line is, “Take the gym with you at Reebok”. Yes lots of great stuff in the hopper.

All this will compliment our Balance Walking Program (that is Nordic Walking amped up) further by leading with innovation, followed by captivating & motivating all those whom are ready to benefit.

I invite you to visit our founding Company – Foot Solutions.
www.footsolutions.com
Or go to one of our other Blogs.
www.balancewalking.com.

My direct email is tkennedy@footsolutons.com

This was going to be a short post that has turned into much more… Hope I did not loose you in the message…

Ronesshia said...

JD, I use mostly the Alexandria Fitness First, and have never had a negative reaction to the BALANCE program. Sure some of the trainers and yes even the managers were not well versed on what the program is, but after a conversation between me and the staff, everything has worked out.

I would like to make the suggestion that you go speak personally with the manager of the Reston facility about your issue and see if it can be resolved.

Also, anytime you need to vent, you are welcome to shoot me a message. :-)